headerpic

znzozdzk

November Oscar Delta Kilo

USCGC Bramble - (WLB-392)

bramble bluewater.orgThe retired USCGC Bramble (WAGL/WLB-392) is one of 39 180-foot Seagoing Buoy Tenders designed and built in the early 1940s for the U.S. Coast Guard.

USCGC Bramble (WLB-392) is one of the 39 original 180-foot (55 m) seagoing buoy tenders built between 1942-1944 for the United States Coast Guard. The Coast Guard Cutter Bramble was commissioned in 1944 at a cost of just over $925,000. Following World War II, the Bramble participated in “Operation Crossroads,” the first test of an atomic bomb’s effect on surface ships, at Bikini Island. In 1957, a...long with the cutters Spar and Storis, it headed for the Northwest Passage, traveling through the Bering Straits and Arctic Ocean. Traveling for 64 days through 4,500 miles of partially uncharted waters, the vessels finally reached the Atlantic Ocean. These three surface vessels were the first to circumnavigate the North American Continent, an ambition mariners have had for more than 400 years.

In 1962, the Bramble transferred to Detroit to perform the missions of search and rescue, icebreaking, and law enforcement throughout the Great Lakes, in addition to aids to navigation. In 1975, the Bramble reported to Port Huron. The cutter's areas of responsibility included eastern Lake Erie, southern Lake Huron and Saginaw Bay, and maintaining 187 buoys, one NOAA weather buoy, and three fog signals. During winter months, its capabilities as an icebreaker enabled it to escort ships through ice and assist ships in distress. The Bramble was decommissioned in 2003 to be used as a museum.

Awards: Throughout Bramble's service it was awarded many awards and ribbons. She received the Department of Transportation Gold Medal, CG Unit Commendation, CG Meritorious Unit Commendation, CG "E" Ribbon, CG Bicentennial Unit Commendation, American Campaign Medal, WWII Victory Ribbon, National Defense Service Medal, Arctic Service Medal and the Special Operations Service Ribbon.

Source

Museum info:
Address: 2336 Military St. Port Huron, MI 48060
Phone: (218) 722-7876

Facebook-Icon twitter icon
Contact the museum:
email

From Address:

Pin It