Radio call-sign: Papa-Alpha-3-3-1-9
Zaandam was built at the Haarlemsche Scheepsbouw Co. Haarlem, Netherlands in 1951.
She became the first sea-going buoy-tender built after WWII for the pilot service which at the time was part of the Royal Netherlands Navy
In addition to tending buoys, she was also used for the supply of light ships. The ship was also able to tow light ships to / from their destination.
She was the first in her class of six. After 'Zaandam' and 'Terneuzen' the remaining four were built with minor adjustments.
Her round fantail was one of the adjustments, it was placed on the "Zaandam" in 1959.
From 1953 to 77, the ship served as a buoy tender. From '77 to '80 she was mothballed. From '80 to '92, the ship served as a training vessel for the pilot service.
In 1994 she was sold to the Vlissingen sea-scouts where she served until 2012.
From 2012 on she is in service with the Ijmuiden Sea-Scouts By 2013 all the main engine's main bearings have been replaced. Also, the AC generator has been replaced and countless hours have been spent in regular maintenance.
During Sail Amsterdam (2015), the ship had a prominent role as control vessel in the port entrance. Maintenance is done by volunteers with funds provided by sponsors and donations. A few times a year, the sea scouts, under the guidance of experienced members (older sea scouts), sail through the Netherlands or at sea.