MuseumShip Memorial Wall

Courtesy of Jake Behr - US Navy Veteran



USS / CSS Water Witch (Replica)

USS Water Witch was a wooden gunboat commissioned by the United States Navy in 1853. She soon deployed to South America for expeditionary and survey duties. The expedition ended in 1856 when she was fired on by a Paraguayan fort in the Rio de la Plata basin. She returned to the United States for repairs and was recommissioned in 1858. In 1859 she returned to Paraguay where the Paraguayan government apologized for the previous incident. She returned to Philadelphia for repairs in 1860. She returned to service on April 10 1861, two days before the outbreak of the Civil War. She was soon deployed to the Gulf of Mexico for blockade duty. In 1862, she captured the Confederate blockade runner, William Mallory. In October 1862, she sailed up the St. John’s River in Florida to neutralize Confederate coastal defenses. Damaged in the action, she returned to Port Royal, South Carolina for repairs. She would remain there until 1864. That year, she was boarded by Confederate Marines who successfully captured her and recommissioned her into the Confederate States Navy, keeping her name. Plans were made to sail her to Savannah, Georgia, but with Union forces advancing quickly, she was burned to prevent recapture. In 2009, the Civil War Naval Museum built a full-scale replica of her in Columbus, Georgia, hosting many artifacts of the original. However, the replica was built using untreated lumber and deteriorated. She became unstable and was demolished in 2019.



HMS Buffalo (Replica)

HMS Buffalo was storeship commissioned into the Royal Navy in 1813. She was primarily used for transport duty until 1833. In 1833 she was converted into a prison ship and was used to transport convicts to Australia. She was very important to the colonization of South Australia, transporting many notable explorers, to include James Cook. In 1837, she sailed to Quebec to put down a rebellion. She continued service until 1840. On July 28 1840, she was wreck in a storm off New Zealand. In 1980, a full-scale replica was built in the Australian city of Adelaide and used as a restaurant. In later years, the restaurant struggled financially and was forced to close. The replica was demolished in 2019.


ussr  russian naval jack
RFS (U-359)
u 359

USSRS U-359 was a Whiskey-class submarine commissioned into the Soviet Navy in 1954. Little is known of her service life other than she was decommissioned in 1993. In 1991, a Danish student project asked Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev to donate a decommissioned submarine as a symbol of peace. He agreed, but the project took a few years and a payment of $110,000 to materialize. In 1993, she arrived in Kolding, Denmark, but the citizens were not happy about it and passed the submarine to town of Nakskov. The museum was plagued by financial issues throughout its existence and finally closed in 2010. She was scrapped in 2011.


US flag 48  mexico
USS John Rodgers (DD-574) / ARM Cuitlahuac (E-01)
rodgers cuitla

USS John Rodgers (DD-574) was a Fletcher-class destroyer commissioned in 1943, and immediately deployed to the Pacific. That year she took part in the Battle of Empress Augusta Bay, shooting down a Japanese torpedo bomber. She later provided cover fire for Allied landings in the Gilbert Islands. In 1944, she saw action the Marshall Islands, Guadalcanal, Guam, the Mariana Islands, and The Philippines. In 1945, she took part in the Iwo Jima and Okinawa campaigns, shooting down two Kamikazes. She then took part in the bombardment of the Japanese home islands until the war’s end. She was in Tokyo Bay for the surrender of Japan. She was decommissioned in 1946 and placed in reserve. In 1970, she was sold to Mexico and rechristened ARM Cuitalhuac (E-01). She served a peaceful life before being decommissioned in 2001 – the last Fletcher-class destroyer in service and the only one to serve into the 21st century. She was acquired by a private organization for preservation, but plans fell through and was seized by Mexico citing over $2 million in penalties. She was scrapped in 2010.



ARM Durango (B-01)
durango

ARM Durango (B-01) was a gunboat-transport of the Mexican Navy commissioned in 1936. She was built in Spain and commissioned by Mexico just weeks before the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. She was not particularly seaworthy in large waters, so remained coastal. Her life was long and peaceful carrying out routine patrols. She underwent a reengining in 1967, but by the 1970’s, it was clear she was obsolete, but remained in commission as a training ship. She was finally decommissioned in 2001 after 67 years of service. She was then donated to city of Mazatlan to become a museum ship. Throughout her entire museum ship life, she struggled for money and eventually was no longer maintainable. She was sold for scrap in 2009.


  russian naval jack
RFS K-77
K77

RFS K-77 was a Juliett-class submarine commissioned into the Soviet Navy in 1965. Much of her career history is still classified, but the class was known to stalk American carrier battlegroups. But it known that K-77 operated in the Mediterranean and the Northern Fleet. She was transferred to the Baltic Fleet in 1987. She was decommissioned in 1991 and purchased by a Finnish businessman for preservation as a museum ship in Finland. She opened in 1993, and also hosted a bar and restaurant on board. She was then relocated to Tampa until 1998. In 2001, she was used as the film site for the movie, K-19: The Widowmaker. Following filming, she was purchased by the USS Saratoga Foundation who opened her as a museum ship in Providence and was a big hit in the area. In 2007, a bad Nor’easter struck the region, and K-77 sank at her moorings due to a hatch that was left open. She was raised in 2008 but was deemed beyond repair and was scrapped.



USCGC Woodbine (WLB-289)
woodbine

USCGC Woodbine (WLB-289) was a Cactus-class buoy tender commissioned into the United States Coast Guard in 1942, during World War II. For the first half of the war, she was stationed out of San Juan, Puerto Rico and tended to navigation aids while also conducting routine boat inspections. In 1944, she was deployed to the Pacific and took part in Marianas Islands Campaign, the Recapture of Guam, and the Battle of Okinawa. After the war, she returned to the United States and was reassigned to Lake Michigan. She would remain there for the rest of her career. She was decommissioned in 1972 and sold the city of Cleveland, Ohio, who used her as a training and museum ship until the 1980’s. She was then sold and converted into a fish processing ship and moved to Alaska. She fulfilled this role until 2007. She was scrapped in 2008.



USCGC New Bedford (LV-114)
new bedford

USCGC New Beford (LV-114) was a lightship commissioned in 1930 and stationed off the coast of Long Island, New York. During World War II, she was armed and operated as an examination ship. She spotted a U-boat on Christmas Day 1941. She was reassigned to Massachusetts after the war and continued this role until her decommissioning in 1971. The Coast Guard donated her to her namesake city of New Bedford, Massachusetts for use as a museum ship in 1975. She was never a huge attraction in the years that followed. In 2006, a crew member left a porthole open and a storm hit the area. This caused her to flood and capsize at her moorings. The city of New Bedford tried to sell the ship with the hope of preservation, but no bidders came forward, and thus was sold for scrap the following year.



HMNZS Manawanui
manawanui

Originally built for the United States Navy, HMNZS Manawanui was a naval tug commissioned into the Royal New Zealand Navy in 1948. In 1953, she was converted into a diving tender, a role which she would fulfill for the next 15 years. In 1956, she rescued the pilot of a downed TBM Avenger. In 1957, she rescued a grounded patrol boat, and in 1958, rescued the crew of the stricken freighter Holmglen. She was decommissioned in 1978 and sold to the Paeroa Historic Maritime Park for preservation. Ultimately, she was not able to be preserved and eventually scrapped.



FGS Kranich (P6083)
kranich

FGS Kranich was a Jaguar-class fast attack craft commissioned into the West German Navy in December 1959. She, like the rest of her class, operated primarily in the Baltic Sea and North Sea with intentions of disrupting potential Soviet landing operations. She was decommissioned in November 1973 and became a museum ship in Bremerhaven. She was eventually scrapped in 2006.


  taiwan  china
USS LST-1008 / MV Zhong 112 / CNS Dabie Shan (LST-926)
dabie shan

USS LST-1008 was an LST 542-class tank landing ship commissioned in 1944. She took part in the D-Day landings and then deployed to the Pacific to take part in the occupation of Japan and deliver aid to China. After the war, she was transferred to the Republic of China government for continued service as a relief ship unde the name Wanling. She was soon renamed Zhong 112 and became a merchant ship. She was abandoned by her crew during the chaos of the Chinese civil war. In 1950 she was found in Shanghai by the People's Liberation Army, commissioned into the PLA Navy as Dabie Shan, where she continued to serve until her decommissioning in 1999. She was donated to the Qingdao Naval Museum where she was moored until 2005, when she was scrapped due to her deteriorating condition.


  dominican republic
HMCS Carlplace (K664) / BRD Mella (F451)
mella carlplace

HMCS Carlplace (K664) was a River-class frigate commissioned in 1944 and took up convoy escort duty in the Atlantic. She did this throughout the war, seeing no major action. She was decommissioned in 1945 and sold to the Dominican Republic the following year. Recommissioned as BRD Presidente Trujillo, the incumbent President of the Dominican Republic, and used primarily has his yacht. With the fall of his dictatorship, she was renamed Mella in 1962, and the following year, brought democratic President Juan Bosch back from exile. In 1965, she bombarded Santo Dominigo during the Dominican Civil War. By 1970, she was the flagship of the Dominican Navy and the only frigate that was seaworthy. She was decommissioned in 1998 and became a museum ship in Santo Dominigo. In 2003, the Dominican Republic offered to return her to Canada for preservation but was declined as she was in poor condition. She was scrapped that year.


  
USS Cabot (CVL-28) / ESPS Dedalo (R01)

USS Cabot (CVL-28) was an Independence-class light aircraft carrier commissioned in 1943. She took part in several major actions in the Pacific, most famously the Battle of the Philippine Sea and the Mariana’s Turkey Shoot and repelled numerous kamikaze attacks, one of which struck her flight deck killing 62 of her crew. She was repaired and continued action against the Japanese home islands. She was decommissioned in 1947, but reactivated in 1948 as a training carrier, when she was decommissioned again in 1955. In 1967 she was sold to Spain and became ESPS Dedalo (R01) and was modernized for jet operations. She served Spain until 1989 and decommissioned. She was sold to a private company for preservation and towed back to the United States. She was moored in New Orleans while a permanent home was located. During this time, and embezzlement scandal bankrupted the museum fund and was seized and sold for scrap to pay creditors.



IJN Shiga (DE-4711)

IJN Shiga (4711) was an Ukuru-class destroyer escort commissioned in March 1945 and took up patrol duties around Japan. She survived the war and was converted into a weather survey ship for the Japanese Ministry of Transport, under the name MAS Kojima. She continued this role until her decommissioning in 1964. She was then brought ashore and became the centerpiece of a maritime amusement park in Chiba City. By 1998, however, her hull had deteriorated severely and was scrapped. She was the only surviving Japanese warship from World War II in existence.



USCGC Relief (LV-84)

USCGC Relief (LV-84) was commissioned in 1907 and stationed at various ports along the East Coast. She was decommissioned in 1965. In 1968, she became the floating headquarters of a maritime union in Maryland until being sold again in 1987. She was towed to Yonkers, New York and became a floating restaurant, but was abandoned soon after. In 1991 she came under ownership of the Intrepid Museum in New York City, but was sold by the museum in 1993 in favor of a lightship in better condition. She entered drydock in 1994 to begin a restoration and become a restaurant in Staten Island. Her owners abandoned her in dry dock and was towed to an abandoned pier in Brooklyn and left there to rot. She sank at her moorings in 1997. Her wreck is used for diver training by the NYPD.


  
SS America / USS West Point / SS Australis

One of the largest American built ocean liners at the time, she entered service in 1940, before being pressed into naval service in 1941. Before the United States entered the war, her first task was bringing American citizens from the waring nations home. An agreement with the British allowed her and other American troopships to transport British soldiers from Canada to wherever they were needed. While on one such convoy, Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and the United States entered the war, she was in India at the time. From there she supported Allied troop movements in the Indian Ocean. She would operate in every theater of the war until its end in 1945. She took part in Operation Magic Carpet, returning Allied soldiers home in 1946, before being returned to United States Lines for civilian passenger service. She was very popular on the Transatlantic route before being sold in 1964 to Greece’s Chadris Line and renamed SS Australis. She continued cruise service until 1979. Following years of layup and an uncertain future, In 1994 she was sold to Thailand to become a floating hotel. While under tow, her towlines snapped, and she ran aground in the Canary Islands and broke in half. She was declared a total loss.



USS Inaugural (AM-242)

USS Inaugural (AM-242) was an Admirable-class minesweeper commissioned in 1944 and deployed to the Pacific. She arrived in time to take part in the Battle of Okinawa. During which she made several attacks on Japanese submarines and engaged Japanese aircraft, including Kamikazes. After the war, she took up minesweeping duties around Japan & Korea, cleaning up ruminants of the war, successfully clearing 82 of them. She was decommissioned in 1946 and placed in reserve. In 1968, she was preserved as a museum ship in St. Louis and was very successful. In 1993, the Great Flood occurred and caused her to slip her moorings and sank in the floodwaters, with her wreck resting on the bed of the Mississippi river. She remains there to this day.



USCGC Comanche (WPG-76)

USCGC Comanche (WPG-76) was an Algonquin-class cutter commissioned in 1934. During World War II, she was assigned to the Greenland Patrol and some convoy escort duty. In 1943, the U-boat, U-223, fired on her convoy and sank the transport, SS Dorsetshire. Comanche rescued 97of her survivors. She continued this role throughout the war. She was decommissioned in 1947 and placed in reserve. In 1948 she was sold to the Virginia Pilots Association for use as a barracks ship. In 1984, she was acquired by Patriot’s Point for preservation and restoration. In 1989, Hurricane Hugo struck the East Coast, and threw her up against the hull of the USS Yorktown (CV-10). She was damaged beyond repair and in 1991, was scuttled as a reef off Charleston.



ARV Zulia (D21)

ARV Zulia was the second of three Nueva Esparta-class destroyers of the Venezuelan Navy. The Trio were the first major warships the country had ever operated and were the beginning of a planned Naval expansion, which was never fully implemented. Zulia was commissioned in 1956 and took an active part in conducting exercises with the United States and other Latin American Navies. In 1962, she took part in the Puerto Cabello insurrection, a Naval revolt. She and two other destroyers bombarded Venezuelan Marine positions near her base. The revolt was put down the next day. A few months later, she was deployed to Cuba to assist the United States in their blockade of the island during the Cuban missile crisis. The rest of her life was relatively peaceful. She was decommissioned in 1978 and donated to the University of Zulia for preservation. Years later she was abandoned by her caretakers and sank at her moorings. Despite new attempts to preserve her, she was raised and sunk as a target ship in 1983.



USS Long Island (CVE-1) / MS Nelly / MS Seven Seas

USS Long Island (CVE-1) was the world’s first escort aircraft carrier. The ship type came about the sudden need for more warships, with war looming on the horizon. It was proposed to convert merchant ships into small aircraft carriers. Originally the cargo ship, SS Mormacmail, she was selected as the first ship to undergo conversion, mostly as an experiment. Rechristened USS Long Island, she was commissioned in Summer 1941 and testing was successful. Many more classes of the type followed. She did one Atlantic convoy as an anti-submarine ship but was mostly used for pilot training and aircraft delivery. Her aircraft were the first to be delivered and operate from Henderson Field in Guadalcanal. After the war, she transported Allied soldiers home and was soon decommissioned in 1946. She was then sold to Canada-Europe Line and converted into a passenger ship. Renamed MS Nelly and later MS Seven Seas, she served this role until 1966. In 1968 she was purchased by Rotterdam University for use as a hostel. She served this role until 1977, when she was scrapped.



ORP Burza - (H73)

ORP Burza (H73) was a Wicher-class destroyer commissioned into the Polish Navy in 1932. In 1939, she fled to the United Kingdom as a part of the Peking Plan. Once war broke out, she operated as a part of the Royal Navy, under the Polish flag. In 1940, she took up operations supporting Allied troops in Norway and France with gunfire support and anti-aircraft cover. During the Bombardment of Calais, she and British destroyers, HMS Vimera and HMS Wessex were attacked by 27 German aircraft. The attack damaged Burza & Wessex, while Vimera was sunk. She was repaired and took up convoy escort duty until 1944. From that point she was used as a training ship and submarine tender. After the war, she remained in service with the Navy of the Polish People’s Republic until 1960. She was preserved as a museum ship in Gdynia. Her condition deteriorated, and in 1977 was replaced by in the role by ORP Blyskawica and later scrapped.


   
RN Nautilo / KMS UIT-19 / JRM Sava (P-802)

RN Nautilo was a Flutto-class submarine commissioned into the Regia Marina in July 1943. She would not see any action under the Italian flag, as two months after her commissioning, Italy signed an armistice with the Allies and switched sides. Her crew scuttled her in Venice to prevent her capture by Germany. She was refloated by Germany and commissioned into the Kriegsmarine as KMS UIT-19. She was sunk a second time by the Royal Air-Force in the Yugoslav port of Pula in 1944. After the war, she was raised by the Yugoslav Navy and commissioned as JRM Sava and became a key pillar of Yugoslav’s post-war submarine fleet. In 1958, she became a training submarine. She was decommissioned for the final time in 1971. After decommissioning, she became the worlds first submarine nightclub in the Croatian port of Dubrovnik, affectionally called the “Yellow Submarine” due to her new paint job. Eventually she lost popularity and was closed. She was scrapped in 1974.



USCGC Brenton Reef (LV-39)

USCGC Brenton Reef (LV-39) was a lightship commissioned in 1875 and operated along the East Coast until her decommissioning in 1935. She was towed to Gloucester, Massachusetts and became a floating restaurant. The restaurant operated until 1974 when it was closed, and later towed to Boston. Plans were made to reopen her in Beverly, Massachusetts and was made seaworthy for the tow, but sank in a storm along the way.



USS Banning - (PCEC-886)

USS PCE-886 was PCE 842-class patrol ship commissioned on May 31 1945, during World War II, but too late to see any action. She would be commissioned, decommissioned, and recommissioned on-and-off, never seeing any action. In 1956, she was officially named USS Banning. She was decommissioned for the final time in 1961 and months later, became a museum ship in Hood River, Oregon. The museum proved unsuccessful and returned to Navy custody in 1969. In 1972, she was sold into private ownership and renamed Growler. In 1973, she foundered off Cape Prince of Wales, Alaska and was lost.



RMS Queen Elizabeth

RMS Queen Elizabeth was built in Clydebank, Scotland in 1938, and completed by mid-1939. However, World War II broke out before she could enter passenger service and was requisitioned by the Royal Navy as a troop transport. Throughout the war, she ferried Allied soldiers to various fronts of the war all across the world. After the war ended, she finally entered service as a passenger liner. She fulfilled this role until her retirement in 1967. She was then sold to Fort Lauderdale, Florida to become a hotel, but the Florida climate made it difficult to maintain her and was closed in 1970. She was sold and reactivated to become a school ship and was sailed to Hong Kong. In 1972, while undergoing conversion, in Hong Kong, a fire broke out aboard her, and sank in Victoria Harbor. Her wreck was later scrapped.



MS Batory

MS Batory was a Polish ocean liner built in 1936 as the flagship of Gdynia-American Line, and was very popular, being known as the most famous Polish ship. Her passenger service life was cut short following Germany’s invasion of Poland in 1939. She escaped Poland and was requisitioned by the Allied powers for wartime duties. Remaining under the Polish flag, she served as both a troop transport and a hospital ship. She took part in many key campaigns including the Evacuation of Dunkirk, the Invasion of Sicily, and the North African Campaign. Despite many Axis attempts to sink her, they all failed, and she was known as the Lucky Ship of Poland. She returned to Poland in 1946 and resumed her passenger service, which she continued until 1969. That year she was withdrawn and became a floating hotel in Gdynia, but this proved to be a failure and was sold for scrap in 1971.



USCGC Bear - (AG-29)

Originally the Newfoundlander sealing ship, SS Bear in 1874, she was acquired by the United States Revenue Cutter service in 1885 for the purpose of Arctic expedition. She conducted routine patrols of Alaskan waters from 1885 to 1926. She was decommissioned that year and became a museum ship in Oakland under the name, Bear of Oakland. In 1932, she was purchased by Admiral Richard E. Byrd to use for Antarctic exploration, which she conducted two voyages to. In 1939, she was commissioned by the Navy as USS Bear. In 1941, as the United States entered World War II, she evacuated the last Americans from Antarctic research stations, fearing they would be attacked. From 1941 to 1944 she served in the Atlantic as a part of the Greenland Patrol. She was decommissioned in 1944, citing her age. In 1948 she was sold to Canada to become a sealing ship once again, but this proved to costly and was left abandoned. In 1962, she was sold to Philadelphia to become a museum ship and restaurant. She underwent a light restoration in Nova Scotia before being towed out in 1963. While under tow, a gale struck and severed the tow line, and she sank in the storm. She holds many distinctions in her career.



USS Hartford

USS Hartford was a sloop-of-war commissioned in 1858. She took an active role in the American Civil War as the flagship of Admiral David Farragut, the United States’ first admiral. She would skirmish with the Confederate Navy many times, but most notably at the Battle of Mobile Bay in 1864, in which a crushing defeat to the Confederacy was dealt. After the war, she was deployed to the Pacific as a part of the newly formed Asiatic Squadron. Her life was peaceful after that. She remained in service as a training ship until 1926. President Franklin D. Roosevelt earmarked her for preservation, but World War II sidelined these plans, and following his death were also abandoned, and was allowed to deteriorate. In 1945, she was classified as a relic with hopes of restoration, but as her condition worsened, she sank at her moorings in 1956 and was deemed a total loss. She was broken up for scrap in place.


 

KEB Tver

KEB Tver was a 26-ore galley built for personal use by Catherine the Great in 1767 for her voyage on the Volga River. She was commissioned into the Imperial Russian Navy that year. Catherine the Great embarked on May 2 1767 and the voyage lasted until June 5 1767. She returned to St. Petersburg the following year was handed over to the Kazan Admiralty for preservation. By 1804, she was the only surviving Imperial galley and in the 1880’s, more steps were taken to preserve her. In 1918, during the chaos of the Russian Revolution, she was saved from destruction by Kazan University’s historical society, who took over preservation. By the end of the year, the museum fell under the control of the Soviet government and administered by the newly founded People’s Commissariat for Education and the Tatar State Museum, who continued preservation. In 1954, in order to promote the communist agenda, she was burned by the Soviet Department of Culture. Plans in the works to construct a full-sized replica.


  
FS Duguay-Trouin / HMS Implacable

The FS Duguay-Trouin was a Temeraire-class ship-of-the-line commissioned into the French Navy in 1800. During the Napoleonic Wars, she engaged the Royal Navy on and off until the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. During the battle Duguay-Trouin was heavily damaged after engaging four British frigates. She was boarded by the Royal Marines and captured soon after. She was repaired and recommissioned into the Royal Navy as HMS Implacable. In 1808, she took part in the Anglo-Russian War alongside Sweden, engaging several Russian ships at the Battle of Kronstadt. During the battle, she sank the Russian frigate Vsevolod. In 1809 she engaged the Russian Baltic Fleet capturing six gunboats. In 1810, she took part in the Siege of Cadiz, and continued action against Napoleon until 1813. In 1840, she undertook her last combat action bombarding Acre. In 1842 she was declared unfit for service and recalled. She was repaired and continued life as a training ship. In 1908, King Edward VII personally intervened to save the ship for preservation. Fund raising campaigns were successful. She was neglected during World War II and by wars end, citing no funds available from private or government, the Royal Navy was unable to continue preserving her. She was offered to France to retake her but declined for the same reasons. It was decided to scuttle her with explosives in 1949.



HMS Wellesley

HMS Wellesley was a third-rate ship-of-the-line commissioned in 1815. Her life was mostly peaceful until 1840 when she was deployed to China to take part in the 1st Opium War. She was successful in destroying most of China’s coastal cannons and fleet of Junks. She took part in the key Battle of Shanghai in 1842, which ultimately lead to a British victory in the war. In 1854, she was regulated to a training ship. In 1940, during a German air raid on Denton, England, she was struck by several bombs and sank. She was raised in 1948 and broken up. She was still a commissioned warship at the time of her loss, giving her the infamous distinction of being the last sail warship to be sunk by enemy action.



USS Oregon - (BB-3)

USS Oregon (BB-3) was an Indiana-class battleship commissioned in 1896. During the Spanish-American War, she took part in the Battle of Santiago de Cuba which saw the destruction of the Spanish Caribbean Fleet and bombardment of Spanish coastal batteries. She later sailed to the Pacific to take part in the Philippine-American War, where she conducted several coastal bombardments. In 1900 she was deployed to China to reinforce the Eight Nation Alliance during the Boxer Rebellion. With the arrival of the Dreadnought’s, she was decommissioned in 1906, but recommissioned after modernization in 1911. She took no part in World War I but did transport troops to Russia during the Russian Civil War. She was decommissioned for the last time in 1919. She was preserved in Portland, but in 1941, was scrapped, as her steel was needed for World War II.


  
KEB General-Admiral Apraksin / IJN Okinoshima

KEB General-Admiral Apraksin was a Admiral Ushakov-class coastal defense ship commissioned into the Imperial Russian Navy in 1899. Her career started off rough with her grounding in the Gulf of Finland, she was freed after great effort. In 1905, she and her two sister ships, Admiral Ushakov & Admiral Seniavin, were selected to Admiral Nebogatov’s squadron to confront Japan in the Pacific, embarking on what would later be known as the Voyage of the Damned. On May 27 1905, all three ships took part in the Battle of Tsushima. As the Russian Fleet was decimated by the Japanese, Admiral Ushakov was sunk, and General-Admiral Apraksin & Admiral Seniavin were captured as prizes. Both ships were recommissioned into the Imperial Japanese Navy as IJN Okinoshima & IJN Mishima respectively. In Japanese service, she took part in the Siege of Tsingtao against Germany. She was decommissioned in 1922 and became a museum ship in 1924. In 1939, she was damaged by a sever storm, and forced to be scrapped.



USS Holland - (SS-1)

USS Holland (SS-1) was the US Navy’s first commissioned submarine. Largely an experimental vessel, she was launched in 1897 and shown off to the US Navy to demonstrate the effectiveness of submarines. The US Navy was convinced and purchased the submarine, officially commissioning her that year, and named her after her creator. She served as the basis for the five Plunger-class submarines that followed her. She was decommissioned in 1910 and set to be sold for scrap but purchased for preservation in 1913. During World War I she served as a traveling exhibit across the Northeast United States before finally being put on permanent display in Paterson, New Jersey. Unfortunately, as the Great Depression struck the country, her preservation was no longer affordable and scrapped in 1932.



SMS Erzherzog Franz Ferdinand

SMS Erzherzog Franz Ferdinand was a Radetzky-class battleship commissioned into the Austro-Hungarian Navy in 1910. She took part in the Bombardment of Ancona in 1915. This was her only major combat action of the war. Her fate was the same as SMS Tegetthoff’s, being seized by the Italians and put on display in Venice. She was scrapped in 1926 in accordance with the Washington Naval Treaty.



SMS Tegetthoff

SMS Tegetthoff was the lead ship of Austria-Hungary’s sole class of Dreadnought’s commissioned in 1912. She took part in the Bombardment of Ancona in 1915, but with most of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, found herself bottled up in the Adriatic Sea until the Otranto Raid in June 1918, in which her sister, SMS Szent Istvan was torpedoed and sunk by the Italian torpedo boat, RN MAS-15. Tegetthoff stood alongside and rescued Szent Istvan’s survivors. After the raid, it was clear that war was lost for Austria-Hungary, and she and the entire navy, was handed over to the State of Slovenes, Croats, and Serbs. The Allies did not recognize the transfers, and Italy seized several ships. She steamed into Venice under her own power and was put on display as a war trophy and opened to the public. The Washington Naval Treaty forced her to be scrapped, which was carried out in 1924.



HMS Foudroyant

HMS Foudroyant was a ship-of-the-line commissioned into the Royal Navy in 1798. She saw action in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars against France, seeing many victories and briefly served as the flagship of Admiral Horatio Nelson. Following Napoleon’s final defeat in 1815, she was drydocked for four years of repairs. In 1819, she was regulated to guardship duties in Plymouth. In 1862 she became a training ship and fulfilled this role until 1884. She was finally decommissioned in 1891 and marked for breaking, but public protest saved her. She was purchased and restored to her original state and used as a sail training ship. She then made a traveling tour around the United Kingdom. In 1897, she was docked in Blackpool, England when a sever storm ripped her from her moorings and violently grounded her. Her crew was saved, but Foudroyant was a total loss and later broken up.

Pin It