International Call Sign: Charlie-Golf-Juliet-Delta
HMCS HAIDA is a 2,745 ton Tribal class destroyer of the Royal Canadian Navy that began his life in 1943 escorting convoys from the British naval port of Scapa Flow on the dreaded Murmansk Run to Russia.
In 1944, HMCS HAIDA joined the 10th Destroyer Flotilla, a mixed force of British, Canadian and Polish warships operating out of Plymouth England to clear enemy shipping off the French coast in anticipation of the D-Day landings. During this period, HMCS HAIDA achieved lasting fame by destroying more enemy tonnage than any other warship in the Royal Canadian Navy.
She then returned to the frigid North Atlantic protecting supply ships en route to Russian Arctic ports. In 1945 she participated in his final World War Two mission the liberation of Norway.
During the Korean War, HMCS HAIDA enhanced an already proud history with two tours of duty off the Korean Peninsula blockading Communist supply lines, protecting aircraft carriers and train busting destroying enemy supply trains and being credited with destroying two and a half locomotives.
Named after the Haida First Nation of British Columbia, HMCS HAIDA continued in faithful service to Canada until 1963 when he became what he is today, a living memorial to all who served on his and to Canada’s naval ships and sailors everywhere.
Thirteen of his sisters were sunk during the Second World War and today only HMCS HAIDA remains- the last of the original twenty-seven Tribal class destroyers left in the world.
- HMCS HAIDA is a Tribal class destroyer built in late 1942 in England (maximum speed up to 36.5 knots).
- Total of 27 Tribal Class destroyers were built between 1937 to 1945 (Other destroyers were scraped).
- HMCS HAIDA is the only tribal class destroyer left in the world.
- Served during the WWII, the Korean War and tour of NATO keeping peace in the World.
- The most decorated Canadian ship (1943-1963) receiving many awards and decorations.
- Two tours of Korea in 1952-1954 as a fighting destroyer (he is known as a train buster).
- Designated as the National Historic Site of Canada operated by Parks Canada (Hamilton, Ontario).
On April 29, 1944, HMCS HAIDA (G63) and HMCS ATHABASKAN (G07) were patrolling the English Channel preparation for the D-Day Landings.
HMCS ATHABASKAN (G07) was struck by enemy torpedoes and sank with the loss of 128 sailors. HMCS HAIDA (G63) pursued and destroyed the enemy ship and returned to rescue 47 of Athabaskan’s crew. An additional 85 Athabaskan crew were rescued by the enemy and were liberated from a POW camp in May, 1945.
HMCS HAIDA became the first Canadian (and the first in the Commonwealth) Warship to be commissioned by our new Sovereign, Queen Elizabeth ll on March 1952 and became HMCS HAIDA (215).
HMCS HAIDA (215) served two tours on duty in the Korean War before being retired from service in 1963 and being placed on public display in Toronto, Ontario and relocated to Hamilton in 2003 near HMCS STAR.
Each year, on April 29th, HMCS HAIDA ASSOCIATION; HMCS ATHABASKAN (G07) ASSOCIATION and Friends of HMCS HAIDA hold a solemn Memorial Service to remember those lost at sea on April 29, 1944.
In 1963, prior to being paid off, HMCS HAIDA sailed on a farewell tour of the Great Lakes. This inspired a group of businessmen to form Haida Inc. to buy him as a memorial to the men and women of the Royal Canadian Navy. He was open to the public for many years at Ontario Place in Toronto. Acquired by the Province of Ontario in 1970, HMCS HAIDA was transferred to Park Canada in 2003. Extensive repairs to his hull were carried out and he arrived at his new berth in Hamilton on the 60th anniversary of his commissioning on August 30, 2003.
In 1990, the Historic sites and Monuments Board of Canada designated HMCS HAIDA as a National Historic Site.
In 1989, Friends of HMCS HAIDA was formed to raise funds for projects that would assist in the preservation and maintenance of the ship.
In 2018 designated ” Honourary Flagship ” for the Royal Canadian Navy.
Remains the only ship in the RCN to have circumnavigated the world, twice. ( 1953,1955)