"Salama" ("Lightning") was built in 1874 by the Vyborg Workshop, in the transition period from sail to steam. She operated on a regular service from Joensuu through the Saimaa Canal to Vyborg and St. Petersburg, with occasional trips as far as Lübeck. Her passenger capacity was 60.
In the evening of 13 September 1898 "Salama" was on a return voyage from St.Petersburg when the passenger steamer "Ilmari" rammed her starboard beam near Puumala, south from Savonlinna. The crew and the passengers were rescued, but the ship sank in a depth of 30 meters. Attempts to raise her were unsuccessful and so "Salama" was left in her watery grave for 73 years.
After her mast had been caught in the winch rope of a passing tugboat lumber company Enso-Gutzeit decided to test its salvage gear and raised "Salama" in 1971. She was restored as a museum ship and opened to the public. In the cargo hold there is an exhibition about the story of "Salama" herself.