Former Museum Ship Alvin Clark

JaySeaArchaeology

Former Museum Ship Alvin Clark

Post by JaySeaArchaeology »

So, I understand that we are here for current museum ships but, I am currently working on a long term writing project on my blog of former museum ships in the United States and there are alot of them, so far I'm up to 20. If anyone has any information on any museum ships that have failed, especially those I have yet learned about I would certainly appreciate it.

Up until now I've researched and discussed current museum ships that are threatened, the Falls of Clyde and the USS Philadelphia with the current plans to raise another revolutionary war gunboat named the Spitfire. Although there has been many successes such as the Vasa and the Mary Rose, raising shipwrecks to be put on display is a fundamentally bad idea. They are best left preserved where they are on the bottom, the current UNESCO Convention on the Protection of the Underwater Heritage agrees with that. Nothing exemplifies this ideal more than the story of the Alvin Clark. This November marks the 50th anniversary of the discovery of Alvin Clark on the bottom of Green Bay (Lake Michigan) which was raised and put on display for two decades but because no conservation was taken on the wreck, it went from a pristine shipwreck that could still float on its own to a true wreck that was eventually bulldozed into the local landfill. A piece of early Great Lakes history was lost leaving us with this cautionary tale in historic preservation.

Let me know what y'all think.

https://jayseaarchaeology.wordpress.com ... vin-clark/
Ayanamikun

Re: Former Museum Ship Alvin Clark

Post by Ayanamikun »

I didn't know about Alvin Clark. Her state of preservation in the lake was amazing! She should have been kept indoors.... A pitty
Ryan Szimanski

Post by Ryan Szimanski »

Are you familiar with USS CABOT? I'll have to find the article on her.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that the Ark was built by amateurs and Titanic was built by professionals.
Pim vW
Site Admin

Post by Pim vW »

Ryan Szimanski wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:11 am Are you familiar with USS CABOT? I'll have to find the article on her.
Do you mean this article Ryan?

https://www.nps.gov/nhl/find/withdrawn/cabot.htm
Ryan Szimanski

Post by Ryan Szimanski »

If that isnt the one I remember reading it certainly tells the same story
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that the Ark was built by amateurs and Titanic was built by professionals.