website logo

USS Ling - (SS-297)
ling
znzxznzd
International Radio Call Sign: November-Xray-November-Delta

Formerly operated by the Submarine Memorial Association until 2017 the USS Ling has since been closed after storm damage from hurricane Sandy, and the property where she is located has since begun redevelopment into condos. 

Like all WWII subs, the Ling takes her name from a fish. She was commissioned on June 8, 1945, destined for service in the Pacific. The war ended before the Ling saw active duty, however, and the sub later served as a training vessel -- equally important to fighting in the war, if a little less dramatic. But a tour of the Ling is dramatic indeed, and visitors will get a real feel for the courage it took for ninety-five officers and crew to brave the deep in such small, spartan quarters. On the other side of the coin the ingenuity of the sub's design is awe-inspiring. That so much metal and machinery can be packaged into a sleek craft that transports humans underwater is incredible.

Ling's future is unclear and a permanent home has not been determined yet.

 

Museum info:
Address: 78 River Street, Hackensack, NJ 07601
Phone:

website icon 70x70  Facebook Icon  email
From Address:


Pin It