Sand Man tugboat – a vintage 113 year old vessel moored in Olympia, Washington. The boat is open to the public, free of charge, on most weekends, year-round. You are cordially invited to come to Percival Landing in Olympia and visit this historic vessel.
1908 – 1910 designed and built by Crawford & Reid, Tacoma
wheel-house designed and built by the Long family, Olympia
1999 – 2000 restoration of the hull by PT Shipwrights Co-op, Port Townsend
2000 – 2005 restoration of the cabins and engine, supervised by Paul Deranleau, Olympia, with help from many volunteers
1910 – 1925 Arthur J. Weston, owner of Olympia Sand & Gravel Co.
(Sand Man was used mostly to tow barges of sand and gravel)
1925 – 1955 Delta V. Smyth, owner of Delta Smyth Tug & Barge Co.
(Sand Man was part of a fleet of up to seven tugboats)
1955 – 1964 Fred Chadwick, owner of Capitol City Towing Co.
1964 – 1987 Franz Schlottmann, owner of Schlottmann Excavating & Towing
(last commercial operator of Sand Man)
1987 – 1997 Bob Powell, initial efforts to restore Sand Man
1997 – present The Sand Man Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization,
established for the purpose of restoring Sand Man
Highlights of the Life of Sand Man
1910 – 1987 Commercially operated tugboat / towboat throughout Puget Sound; always locally owned and based in Olympia
1975 Sand Man began racing in Olympia’s annual Labor Day tugboat races
1987 – 2005 Restoration of the boat (minor work continues)
1998 Listed on the National Register of Historical Places – Vessels
2005 – present After being out of the water for nearly seven years, Sand Man was re-launched on Sept. 1, 2005. Since then, she has been operated as a floating museum at Percival Landing, dedicated to the maritime heritage of Olympia and South Puget Sound.
The boat has been largely restored in recent years, with most of the work done between 1999 and 2005. The original wood planking, decks, and cabins, which had significantly deteriorated, have been mostly replaced with new wood. However, the restoration has been accomplished to replicate the look and function of the boat’s original structures. Much of the original equipment – from the beautiful wheel in the pilot house to the large towing winch on the stern – have been saved and preserved.
Address: 302 4th Avenue West, Olympia, WA 98501