International Call Sign: Zulu-Charlie-X-Ray-Delta-seven
The Wyuna was built for the Port Phillip Pilot Service in 1952, and served from 1953 - 1979. During that time she was mostly moored off Queenscliff, but sometimes came up to Melbourne and was berthed either at Williamstown or in the Yarra River. She was then sold to the Australian Maritime College and was based in Beauty Point, Tasmania until 2004. Then she was laid up at Kings Wharf in Launceston until 2013 when she was donated to Western Port Oberon Association, to be restored and brought back to Victoria. The Wyuna will then become part of the Victorian Maritime Centre located at Hastings.
Gross Tonnage: 1,304 grt
Length: 205 ft, 63.58m
Beam: 39 ft, 11.9m
Draught: 20 ft, 4.57m
Engines: 3x English electric 380kw diesel generators,
400v dc connected to 2 electric motors each 700shp.
Propulsion: Twin screw,
Speed: 13 knots
1953- 1979 Port Philip Sea Pilots
1979- 2004 Australian Maritime College
2004- 2006 Mineralogy Pty Ltd of Brisbane
2006 - 2013 Classic Wyuna Ltd
2013 - present Western Port Oberon Association
The Victorian Maritime Centre has provided us with the following mission statement:
To provide a long term maritime attraction for visitors to the Mornington Peninsula featuring the submarine HMAS Otama and the former pilot ship Wyuna as the centrepiece.